The Llucmajor region is located on south of the island of Majorca, about 15 kilometres east of the capital Palma. It is an area of contrasting landscapes, including mountains, plains, forests, coastal cliffs and sandy coves that have been largely untouched by the tourist developments that predominate much of the rest of the island. Visitors to the Llucmajor region have an opportunity to see the rural Majorcan way of life continuing in much the same way as it has for centuries. There are also several protected wilderness areas forested with wild olive trees, oaks, and pines.
Llucmajor itself is an attractive settlement at the foot of the Puig de Randa mountain, on the road from Palma to Santanyí. It has enjoyed the formal title of a city since the Middle Ages, when the small independent Kingdom of Majorca granted city status to many small towns and rural hamlets. That kingdom came to an end in 1349, in a battle near Llucmajor where King Jaime II of Majorca was defeated by his cousin Pedor IV of Aragon. After the battle the island became part of Kingdom of Aragon, which later became the Kingdom of Spain. The battlefield is marked by a memorial north-east of modern Llucmajor, and for a time the body of the last Majorcan king was interred in the parish church – his grave is now in the cathedral at Palma. Read more: Llucmajor Majorca